Monday, November 11, 2013

Should iPads be allowed in Math classes??

            I have heard, recently, that some schools are providing iPads for their students in the classroom. Students are able to take notes on the iPads and use special software to enhance the lesson they are learning. Personally, I believe incorporating technology in the classroom is great because it keeps the students engaged in the lesson and it can be beneficial and helpful to some students who may need reinforcement of the lesson. With math, technology plays a big part in lesson planning, because we want to keep our students engaged as much as possible. In recent times, I have found that the easiest way to do this is to incorporate some form of technology into the lesson, or to use some form of manipulative.

            However, I would not necessarily choose the iPad as my first technology choice. Any form of computer will get students to be off track and they might explore other things that do not pertain to the lesson. Students in today’s society are very “tech-savvy” and can figure out how to get to certain websites that may be blocked. That is why I am against using iPads or computers in the classroom. On the other hand, if the teacher uses a program on his/her computer and projects it on the white board or smart board, then I believe that is appropriate. Students can still be involved in the lesson and be engaged in the activity, without having the accessibility to their own iPad or computer. They can go up to the smart board and play around with the program, again, without being tempted to search other things or get off task.


            I believe that the choice is ultimately up to the school district and its teachers on whether or not to bring iPads into their schools and classrooms. However, the teachers also have a choice on whether or not they wish to use that technology in their classroom. They need to trust their students to not tamper with the device and to use it according to the lesson. 

8 comments:

  1. A few weeks ago I wrote a similar article on how helpful the Ipad is for physics. I'm glad to see the same kind of thinking and support. As teachers we should be utilizing the potential of what the students can learn with all of the tools and resources that the modern world provides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that iPads should be allowed in a classroom regardless of the subject. This is a great way to get students involved because they love technology. The students will be excited to use the iPad during their lessons. This is also good because students will have access to the internet to search for anything they need to better their understanding of the lesson right away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post because I understand both of your stand points. Like you said, I also believe we should provide the technology that will help our students stay engaged and help them better their learning. I also understand why you are against it. Some students, like you said, will learn how to unblock websites. However, I think that if the school sets the ground for the use of the technology and ensures their students that they trust them with that technology, the students will most likely follow all of the rules. Of course, there are those few who will spoil the fun for the rest of the students and go against the rules. But in those cases, an intervention needs to occur. But I think once you see how helpful and encouraging technology is for your students you'll change your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Antonietta, I agree with you that allowing the students to use an IPad is can be distracting. Although some students may use the IPad for educational purposes a teacher is not able to see if all the students are on task. I have heard about allowing students to use IPads now for math classes and the students also have the math textbook as well as the other textbooks on the IPad. It is great that the students now do not have to carry all the heavy books home like before and there are great apps for math, but there should be limited access to the other apps in order for me to think that it is a good idea to have IPads in a math class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Antonietta, I really like that you bring up what I think is a super important variable about technology in the classroom: Distraction. I agree that technology can of course help teach students in whatever subject area they are learning, however it is difficult to supervise everyone and make sure that the technology in the classroom is being used for good and beneficial purposes! I thought you posed a GREAT idea that I never even thought of: To have the program on the teacher's computer and then have it projected to the students! That is an awesome way to both use the program in your lesson plan, while at the same time not having to worry about the student's being distracted with iPads, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you. I actually wrote a blog post almost about the same thing. I agree that ipads in the classroom would be extremely distracting. But what you said about the teachers using the computer to project something on the white board, would be a much better solution. Maybe even if students could go up to the white board and interact with it, would be so much better than them having their own distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic! I have a box when the kids walk in to my class that they have to put their phones in so they don't use them in class. I just think its a respect thing. Be respectful! I'm not on my phone when you're talking to me, I expect the same. But your idea is so much better. Great use of technology!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very true, if students had access to internet browsers on their iPads they would probably figure out ways to avid doing work. One school I observed had a laptop station in the class and only allowed students to use them for projects or for assistance in specific lessons, not all the time. I think in a limited and monitored environment they can be very useful tools if your school can afford them or is granted them.

    ReplyDelete